SOLAR ECLIPSE 2017: we know what it is, when it’s happening, and now where you should be watching it. Be in the Ky Great River Road Region watching when the U.S. goes dark. A total solar eclipse will happen on the continential U.S., due to the Moon passing between the Earth and the Sun. It’s been 38 years since the continential U.S. has been in the shadow of the total solar eclipse.
On August 21, 2017, a total solar eclipse path will stretch across the entire United States, reaching its point of greatest duration (GD) a few miles north of Ky Great River Road National Scenic Byway. This region in western Kentucky is not only in the path of the 2017 eclipse, but also the 2024 eclipse, making it a unique location for being able to perform observations of both eclipses from the same location.
In the Ky Great River Road National Scenic Byway, eclipse totality is expected to happen 1:21 p.m. CDT. The partial phases of the eclipse start at 11:52 a.m., and end at 2:47 p.m. The second total solar eclipse is coming up on April 8, 2024. The two eclipse paths form an intersection just north of Wickliffe, Kentucky.
ECLIPSE WEEKEND EVENTS AND CAMPING LOCATIONS | KY GREAT RIVER ROAD NATIONAL SCENIC BYWAY
EVENTS: August 19-21, 2017, Eclipse Celebration on the Ceremonial Mound at Wickliffe Mounds State Historic Site, Chickasaw Nation Dancers on Saturday, Music and Tours on Sunday, Eclipse on Monday, 3-day Admission Package or Per Day Admission, Kids age 11 and under, free. Viewing glasses and Eclipse souvenirs on sale in Gift Shop. Concessions and vendors available on site. Questions call 270-335-3681, 94 Green Street, Wickliffe, KY 42087 – Join Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1953861764898370
Detail Itinerary for the Solar Eclipse Weekend at Wickliffe Mounds featuring the Chickasaw Nation Dancers:
• Saturday, August 19, see performances of the Chickasaw Nation Dancers at 10:30 a.m. and at 2:00 p.m. Experience traditional Chickasaw stomp dancing, regalia and cultural demonstrations. Concessions and vendors available from 10:00 to 3:00.
• Sunday, August 20, enjoy music at the park by the JammerZ from 1:00 to 3:00, vendors available and guided tours of the museum from 10:00 to 3:00.
• Monday, August 21, view this historic event, the Eclipse of the Sun, amid the ancient mounds at Wickliffe. Be in position by 12:45, Eclipse begins around 1:00 p.m. Concessions and vendors available from 10:00 to 4:00.
• Tickets sold at the gate: Adults and kids age 12+ each – 1 day $5; 2 days $9; 3 days $12. Kids age 11 and under are free. Packages available for 3 day admission, $25 per person, and includes an Eclipse T-shirt, eclipse souvenir and viewing glasses.
• Eclipse souvenirs, T-shirts, viewing glasses are available for sale in the gift shop.
• Sponsored in part by the Ballard County Economic Development Corporation, W.A.V.E., Kentucky Great River Region Organization.
EVENTS & CAMPING: August 18-21, 2017, Columbus-Belmont State Park, RV and Tent Camping, including campground activities with concessions available at the Snack Bar, Stargaze on Saturday night with local astrologer, Questions call 270-677-2327, 350Park Road, Columbus, KY 42032
CAMPING: August 18-21, 2017, Carolyn Bowman, 339 Freeman Road, Wickliffe, KY 42087, 270-331-6624 or 270-217-9658. Beautifully mowed farmland in Ballard County, KY, available for Tent Camping during the 2017 eclipse. If we get enough campers we will rent port-a-potties. Water hydrants available to fill containers. Complete open sky for viewing.
CAMPING: August 20-21, 2017, RV Camping available at Wickliffe City Park, First Come Basis, $20/day, Concession and Vendors expected on hand, Questions Call 270-335-3557
EVENT: August 21, 2017, Eclipse Street Party, hosted by the City of Barlow and Barlow City Library, Food and Vendors on site, Questions Call 270-983-1651
EVENT: August 21, 2017, Eclipse at the Confluence, Fort Jefferson Hill Park, hosted by the City of Wickliffe, Food Vendors on site, Questions Call 270-335-3557, Join Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FortJefferson/
Kentucky Great River Region Organization, Inc
KYGRRO | PO Box 275, Clinton, KY 42031
KyGreatRiverRoad@gmail.com | KyGreatRiverRoad.org